Tuesday 9 October 2012

Unbroken

The chain remains unbroken.  It has, in a way, been a surprisingly easy habit to settle into, with my day feeling off if it gets to the evening and I haven't done any work on my writing.  It helps, I suppose, that up until about a month ago I used to write most days anyway, and that I enjoy it.  If I had to do something tedious every day - like ironing or dusting or clothes shopping - I probably would have given up by day three.

This isn't to say that I've managed to get a huge amount done because, alas, I haven't.  This week (and particularly the weekend and yesterday) having been particularly hectic means that I haven't got down as many words on the page as I'd anticipated.  But no worries - I've done Chapter 12 and half of Chapter 13, which is all better than a kick in the teeth.

I'm hoping to get quite a bit done tomorrow afternoon.  Since the Evil Blue Chairs of Death (the bane of offices throughout the country) have found their way to Mottisfont, I've been getting back pain and thus have cut down my time archiving to just half-days.  This has at least freed up my Wednesday afternoons for what I hope will be some much-needed writing time.

Also, I am currently reading Heartless by Gail Carriger, the fourth in her Parasol Protectorate series.  I got books three and four for my birthday and, having speedily digested book three within a couple of days, I'm taking a more leisurely pace with this one.  The language is gorgeous and there's such humour in the series which I'd forgotten about since reading the first two.  I'd highly recommend it for fantasy readers who want something well-written but which doesn't take itself too seriously.

In other news, my little baby brother (i.e. that six-foot-three, eighteen-year-old, straight-A-achieving young man) has gone off to university in York.  Given that he is the main person to whom I nerd-out about certain things, it's all been a bit of a shock to the system.  Unfortunately for him, it took him a couple of days to find people who weren't obsessed with getting plastered every single night but he found them at last, so hurrah!!

I will not wish I was back at uni... I will not wish I was back at uni...

Oh, who am I kidding?

No comments:

Post a Comment